Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012
    • (edited May 24th 2012)

I received an unsolicited email today from Elsevier CiteAlert:

Dear Dr. M.C. Wilson,

It is our pleasure to inform you that your publication has been cited in a journal published by Elsevier.

Through this unique service we hope we can offer you valuable information, and make you aware of publications in your research area.

Best regards,

The CiteAlert team

“My” article is the following, which has nothing to do with me. As the owner of a common (“popular”) name, I am used to misidentification, but this is taking it a long way. Wrong initials (I always use Mark C. in publications), wrong scientific field, hard to imagine keywords matching. The contrast between self-described quality and actual quality of service is, again, rather striking. Their hope seems a rather desperate one.

Metastable phase transitions and structural transformations in solid-state materials at high pressure McMillan, P.F., Shebanova, O., Daisenberger, D., Cabrera, R.Q., Bailey, E., Hector, A., Lees, V., MacHon, D., Sella, A., Wilson, M. Phase Transitions volume 80, issue 10-12, year 2007, pp. 1003 - 1032

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorScott Morrison
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012

I’ve had a few of these also. Apparently having “categories” in the title of a paper is considered uniquely identifying.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2012

They are still at it, and they have me wrong in Scopus too despite me fixing it at least once. Apparently I now write a lot of physics: A density-driven phase transition between semiconducting and metallic polyamorphs of silicon Mcmillan, P.F., Wilson, M., Daisenberger, D., Machon, D. Nature Materials volume 4, issue 9, year 2005, pp. 680 - 684.

Obviously “phase transition” is the key phrase.