Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

My contributed editorial “The Elsevier boycott and beyond” will appear in the New Zealand Mathematical Society Newsletter soon. It can be read at my homepage http://mcw.wordpress.fos.auckland.ac.nz/files/2012/05/elsevier-nzms.pdf. It may be useful although little in it can be news to anyone in this forum. No one from the Mathematics Department at my university has yet signed the Cost of Knowledge petition, although about 10 from my department (Computer Science) have. I thought it worthwhile to give an overview of the issues. Thanks to Henry Cohn for help and inspiration.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorColin Gopaul
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012

Mark is it too late for you to mention the the new petition in the US before it goes to press? The circulation would certainly promote it and I think it is certainly easier for many to sign than the Elsevier boycott. I like the shortness of the article, it is something needed to bring new people quickly up to date on what has been happening.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

I think it is too late, but I have asked anyway. I did mention that my own website will have extras not in the article (I was given a strict word limit).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthormozibur
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    I tried advertising the issue in Math.Stack.Exchange but got a lot of negative comments suggesting that it wasn't an appropriate forum for canvassing suggestions for improvements to the Arxiv, even though I had it tagged as a soft question. I certainly felt it was an appropriate question directed towards Mathematics as a social enterprise, and they have a large user-base of mathematicians.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2012

8-minute movie about Open Access at PhD Comics.