Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHenry Cohn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012

There’s an interesting comment by “Aggrieved” at the Secret Blogging Seminar:

I am a professional in-house English editor. To my mind, Elsevier is perpetuating a scam with its editing service. Every paper submitted to an Elsevier journal from my department gets returned with the same stock reply, in which the quality of the manuscript is criticized. Such superificial criticism is followed by an advertisement for Elsevier’s Language Editing Service. In every case, I make some slight cosmetic changes (reduce the sentence length, change words here and there) and the paper is subsequently accepted for review. As the paper authors are in each case Chinese, I strongly suspect that Elsevier feels that they won’t argue back when their English is criticized (what non-native speaker would argue with a supposed native speaker?). As a native speaker, I can see their scam for what it is. They’re absolute crooks.

Of course it’s silly to put too much faith in anonymous comments on the internet, but these allegations are troubling. Does anybody know more about Elsevier’s language editing service? I’d love to know how often mathematicians trying to submit papers to Elsevier journals are referred to this service.