Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2012

Getting an account on this forum only involves solving a reCaptcha so although it tends to keep out bots, it’s no defence against a person. So every now and again someone manages to create an account and post spam comments. I delete these and ban the account as soon as I notice it, though sometimes it needs drawing to my attention.

Sometimes someone notices a spam comment and posts a follow-up comment along the lines of “The previous comment is spam”. Obviously, when I delete the spam comment then I have to delete the follow-up as well otherwise it looks (at first sight) as though a genuine comment is being called spam.

This post has two purposes: firstly, so that if someone posted the follow-up comment they understand why I deleted their comment as well as the spam comment; secondly, it is more efficient to post a comment in a dedicated thread (ie, this one) than to post these follow-up comments as it is easier for me to monitor one thread than every thread.

Oh, and thirdly to say thank you to those who do draw these spam comments to my attention.