Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012

Since we have all had a rest for a while :)

I would appreciate any (anecdotal is OK, pointers to real research on the topic even more so) information on the peer review practices of mathematics (and closely related) journals. My impression is that they may differ substantially from those in other fields. For each journal with which you are familiar,

1) Does it use double-blind review? (submissions are anonymized so authors are not immediately apparent)? 2) How many referees are used for each paper, typically? 3) Are referee reports made available publicly, say on the journal website? 4) Are referee names/name of editor who made decision made public when a paper is accepted?

For example, to pick a new and not well-known journal, ISRN Discrete Math has answers: no, I don’t know (which bothers me), no, yes. My experiences with Mathematical Social Sciences as an author are: no, 1, no, no (may be implicitly the Editor-in-Chief). I think SIAM Review is no, >1 (and all editors agree on all acceptances),no,no. My guess is that for Q2, the modal answer is 1, which is definitely different from, say, CS conferences and (I guess) unusual in other fields.

1. 1) no for all journals I know

2) seems to be 1 for Ann. SNS Pisa, Math Annalen, Geom. dedicata, Ann. Institut Fourier, Crelle, Geometry and topology, Trans. AMS, Proc. AMS, Jour. top., Jour. top. anal. and many others ; seems to be at least 2 in case of acceptance but sometimes 1 in the event of quick rejection for GAFA, Inventiones, Duke.

3) No for every journal I know (and I know people that would not review otherwise).

4) No for referees for every journal I know, yes for editors in Geometry & Topology and Proc. AMS, if . I think Math. Res. Letters and Jour. AMS have a policy of unanimity for accepting papers, but do not write (as far as I know) the specific editor in charge of the paper. No for Geom. Dedicata, Math Annalen, Annales Institut Fourier, Diferential geometry and its applications, Compte-Rendus de l’Académie des Science (Paris), Jour. Top., Trans. AMS, Ann. SNS Pisa, ESAIM:COCV, …

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012

Thanks. I am really after a much more comprehensive set of anecdotal data, so would appreciate comments from other users. (This comment was inadvertently posted in another thread).