Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012

Having begun the year by boycotting them, it is fitting that my last act before vacation in 2012 is to send them a goodbye note. I received galley proofs yesterday. As usual essentially no value was added by Elsevier, and the copyeditor made about 10 suggestions of extra “the”, all of which were wrong and obviously wrong to any fluent English speaker.

The relevant part of my reply to them:

This is my last article published with Elsevier (I can’t speak for my coauthors). The main reason why I and others are boycotting Elsevier is the very large cost of their journals compared with the very small (often negative) help they give to authors. In this case, the copyeditors have suggested many changes which are clearly wrong, and this is apparent to anyone fluent in English. Unfortunately, this has been my experience in general with Elsevier journals, who have introduced numerous errors into my papers. Several other publishers of mathematical research are considerably better in this regard. I shall be referring anyone interested in this paper to my own website, as the prepublication version of the paper is more likely to be correct.

I copy the Editor in Chief and ask him again to consider moving this worthwhile journal to a better publisher who can actually add value, or charge a reasonable amount. I thank him for his contribution to the field and am sorry that (unless the situation changes substantially) I won’t be dealing with him again in this capacity.