Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013
    • (edited Feb 7th 2013)

I am still finding out about interesting tools, in some cases years later than I should have. Perhaps we can share information more efficiently. Here is my list to get things started. I use many of these every day, others much more rarely.

• this site
    • mathblogging.org (only just found out about this: Peter K. - you should let people know about it here)
    • arXiv, with daily RSS feed (use Google Reader)
    • Gowers’ weblog, Terry Tao (the only math blogs I read systematically and have RSS feeds from)
    • Math Overflow
    • Wikipedia
    • MathSciNet (not open access)
    • Google Scholar (I have a profile, and it makes some quite good recommendations of papers to read these days) - hardly ever use anything like Scopus any more

• Papers for Mac (anyone use Zotero? I hear Mendeley is being bought by Elsevier)

• LaTeX with biblatex package (no more bibtex!) and hyperref, plus beamer

I am sure there are more but I can’t think of them right now. Don’t use Twitter, and have my own blog, rather infrequently updated. I have recently heard about:

• figshare, and other products from Digital Science - anyone use them?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorScott Morrison
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013

I looked recently at colwiz, made by some people (associated with?) at Oxford. I wasn’t sold: it tried to do everything under the sun, rather than having separate components doing a single thing well.

1. To use LaTeX, two great tools:

• Detexify to get a LaTeX command from the handwritten form of a sign: http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

• TeX stackexchange to have awesome answer to the most invovled questions http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions