Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012

The “Technical” category of this forum is a place for people to report bugs, suggest features, and for me to announce features. By having a separate category, this doesn’t get in the way of other important discussions.

As this might be the only time that most people read a post in the technical category (be honest - you only clicked on this link because at the moment you read everything here, and from now on you know you can safely ignore anything in this category), let me point out a few of the features that might not have been so obvious.

1. The forum has an interleaved “blog”. It is possible to promote comments to a special part of the forum as “blog posts” (it’s actually called “Notices” in the top panel). At the moment, only Scott Morrison and I can promote comments (though we can do this for any comment), but if anyone would like to make use of this then just ask.

2. It probably won’t be so important for this forum, but maths is supported. The input format is iTeX, which is heavily based on LaTeX maths. If you’re using a browser that supports MathML then that’s what you’ll get, otherwise you get PNGs. Soon, I’ll install MathJaX to replace the PNGs as they don’t look all that great (but the input format will still be iTeX - the MathJaX is to convert the MathML into HTML+CSS). Here’s a little equation as a demonstration: a 2+b 2=c 2a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

3. Quite a lot of the look of the forum is customisable; in particular, it’s possible to have your own style sheet so if you don’t like the banner at the top nor the colour scheme then you can design your own or choose from the preinstalled ones. Just go to your account page, in the “Account” tab, and explore the options.

4. There’s support for wikilink syntax for shorthands, but I didn’t know of an obvious wiki to send the links to! If there’s an obvious choice, please let me know. It may be that as the discussions progress then it’ll be useful to have a place to record specific proposals, in which case it would be easy to set up a wiki and have the wikilinks go there.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthordarij grinberg
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012

Strange: I don’t see any options when I go to my Account page. I have allowed scripts from ntnu.no, if that’s the problem.

The main customization I’d like to see is a longer (WAY longer) automatic-logout time. It is just annoying to get logged out after 30 minutes (or at least it feels like 30 minutes).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorHenry Cohn
    I agree about the automatic logout.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorOlivier GERARD

On a related note, I have had troubles associating an open id with my account (for the time being I can only use a local password). When I try to make an association to an open id provider, the process stalls and I am not redirected to my open id provider pages for approval or login as I guess I should be.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorScott Morrison

@ogerard, could you tell us what sort of OpenID you’re trying to use, so we can experiment?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorNoah Snyder
    I third the automatic logout annoyance. I'd prefer something like 30 days rather than 30 minutes.
    • CommentRowNumber7.

The “Remember Me” option in the login should give a longer (essentially permanent) login. Clearly, it’s not getting set. (OpenID is complicated - are all those getting logged out using OpenID?)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorYiftach Barnea
    I am not using OpenID, but still get logged ut.
    • CommentRowNumber9.

Did you check the “Remember Me” box when you signed in?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    Yes.
    • CommentRowNumber11.

@Scott : I tried to use “myopenid”

• CommentRowNumber12.
    I have two fairly stupid technical questions:

1. How do I copy and paste a previous comment in a whole or in part so it would be clear that it is copied and pasted?

2. Many people reply to comment with @name ...Do they just write @ and then add the name (if so what does the @ stands for?) or is there a way to reply to specific comment which I miss?
    • CommentRowNumber13.

Yiftach:

1. To quote something, put > at the start of each paragraph of quoted text. Thus:

> This is a quote

produces

This is a quote.

To copy-and-paste something from a comment, you want to have what they actually typed rather than what is displayed (so that any formatting is copied too). To see the source, look at the top right of the comment and you’ll see a line of links, one of which should be “Source”. Clicking on that shows the source of the comment. This is for cutting-and-pasting but also can be useful for seeing how someone did something with formatting (so you can see how I got the above, for example).

2. The @name syntax is an affectation, it doesn’t actually achieve anything. It’s used on the StackExchange network where it does send a message to the person that they have a reply. The comments in each discussion are numbered so a common way (on the nForum, for example) is to refer to a previous comment by number.

Back on the logging in, can you tell me what browser you are using, and what options you have for what cookies you accept. Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Feb 12th 2012)
    @Andrew :-) I am using Firefox and as far as I can it is supposed to keep cookies (it remembers history).
    • CommentRowNumber15.

Hi Andrew,

Over at meta.mathoverflow, we installed a plugin at some point (probably with your assistance… :-) that gives discussions human-readable URLs. Could we have that here? It’s very helpful while linking, and from what I understand the google ranking algorithm really likes it too!

best, scott

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorKevin Walker

Quote from http://meta.mathoverflow.net/discussion/1305/comparables-to-journal-of-algebra-journal-of-pure-and-applied-algebra :

Having just seen the Math 2.0 website for the first time, from links on this page, I wonder: wouldn’t it be better if it were on its own dedicated site rather than being part of a person’s website? Imagine if Anton had created mathoverflow as www.math.berkeley.edu/~anton/mathoverflow.

Is there a reason not to get a domain name for this site, other that the expense and hassle of renewing it periodically?

• CommentRowNumber17.

I agree it would be better to get a domain name.

One option would be to directly piggyback on thecostofknowledge.com — coordinate with Tyler to point thecostofknowledge.com/forum over here, and ensure that is the default URL.

Simpler, we just need to think of an available domain name. That should probably happen in a new thread, once we hear back from Andrew about the viability of doing so.

• CommentRowNumber18.

Firstly, I think I’ve fixed the bug where it wasn’t remembering people. By that I mean that I’ve found a definite bug in the code which might have had the effect that people who created accounts after this site was launched weren’t having their logins remembered beyond a short time limit. Whether or not it actually is the bug is something that is easiest to test by experiment: my coding skills are not quite enough to be absolutely sure. So please let me know if this problem persists.

Secondly, regarding domains, I have two points for consideration.

1. It is extremely useful to me on a technical basis to have this site hosted near me. The fact that it is hosted from my university account means that I can easily and quickly maintain the code. As I am not a programmer, this is part of my “safety net”, or perhaps my “comfort blanket”, which gives me more confidence in understanding what’s going on.

2. I already own (or rent, what’s the right term?) the domain www.mathforge.org. It is linked to a VPS which currently hosts the nLab (you can get to the nLab via http://www.mathforge.org/nlab or something like that). But the nLab’s proper domain is ncatlab.org so mathforge is really just a back-up. Because of the above, I’d be reluctant to physically move the forum there, but I believe that with DNS wizardry it might be possible to virtually do so. I might need cooperation from my local sysadmins to do it properly, though. (In essence, there are two methods: one is a proper linking at the DNS level, the other is simply that the remote host forwards all suitable requests here. The first needs local cooperation, the second means that every request gets bounced via the remote server - which is potentially annoying.) I’d have to find out about the feasibility of a redirection at the DNS level.

3. Okay, I lied about the number of points. If mathforge is not considered appropriate, it’s easy enough to register another name and I already have accounts where I can register names with no bother. Scott’s right, though, this should be discussed in a proper thread.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorKevin Walker
    Per your suggestion I started a new thread on domain name issues at http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/Math2.0/comments.php?DiscussionID=19
    • CommentRowNumber20.

Scott (#15), do you remember which plugin that was?

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
    • (edited Feb 13th 2012)

@Andrew, it’s the Friendly URL extension. It’s very simple; add

$Configuration['URL_BUILDING_METHOD'] = 'mod_rewrite';

to your conf/settings.php, then add all the lines from the .htaccess file they provide. Looking at that .htaccess file, we’ll have to make some adjustments, because it assumes that vanilla is the “top-level” under the domain name. (Actually, if we grab a domain name, there’s no need to make any adjustments, I think.)

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

ogerard: I think I’ve fixed the bug with MyOpenID. I’ve tested it with my MyOpenID but would welcome confirmation.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

@Andrew, I have tested but I have the same behavior as before. When trying to add a MyOpenId, I enter my OpenId username and click proceed. The result is the same page with “Manage your OpenIds” but without anything else (no more provider logo, text, or button).

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

Olivier, I’ve just tested and I can add and remove a myopenid openid, and sign in using it. You need to use just the username part, not the full username.myopenid.com - I’ve added a comment to make that clear.

Try using the generic OpenID method - the fifth of the large boxes - and enter your openid manually in full (eg http://username.myopenid.com). That should provide some additional data on where the problem lies.

• CommentRowNumber25.

Andrew, it worked well with the generic OpenID method.

• CommentRowNumber26.

I presume by that that it didn’t work with the MyOpenID method. Hmm. Does signing in work with MyOpenID? (Remember, you have to just give the username part, not the full OpenID)

(At least we have something that now works for you.)

• CommentRowNumber27.

@26 (Andrew) : I signed out and signed in with the MyOpenID method successfully. I presume that the problem with the ID management case was linked to a kind of request timeout, as if the request to the openID provider never succeeded at a very low level, the system hanging on it.