Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMark C. Wilson
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013

I will be meeting with colleagues across my university on 28 August, to discuss the idea of implementing an open access mandate. Experience has shown that although researchers like the idea of their papers being available more widely, they have a poor record of doing anything about it (e.g. posting to arXiv or even personal website), unless their institution requires it (or incentivizes it strongly, to preserve the notion of academic freedom). I would like to represent the mathematics perspective, since there will be many people from richer fields who may think that open access is mostly about “Gold” OA. Some of the obstacles I can see to Green self-archiving, or archiving through institutional repository, are: laziness, concern about too many versions of a paper being on the internet, causing reader confusion, opposition from publishers (embargoes seem to be getting longer).

I would like to read ideas and opinions from this community.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

I think that putting papers on one’s own website should only be a part of such archiving. I see too many people who have started out valiantly and then their list of publications runs out 2 or 3 or 4 years ago. And guaranteeing that that website will be around in 10 years is tricky, to say the least.

Perhaps linking paper archival to annual reviews or similar? In Australia we have to count research outputs for the purposes of funding, and have to hand in an electronic copy of the paper as proof: ideally they go somewhere accessible, but I don’t know (I really should look). Does NZ have something similar?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthordarij grinberg
    For what it's worth, I think OA mandates are a great idea that ought to be implemented more often. Particularly a link to a career-significant evaluation as David suggested would serve well to counteract the often career-related stimuli to publish in a closed venue.