Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMatthew Daws
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

There’s an interesting article in the May issue of the Notices: Scripta Manent: The New Publishing Scene and the Tenure Case: An Administrator’s View In particular, I was interested by the author’s (a dean) claim that:

In the last several years, the number of papers that are simply posted on arXiv, for example, has grown significantly, and it is not infrequent for a CV to contain papers that only appear on arXiv.

(Emphasis mine) Is this really true? My impression was that, in (pure) maths, the vast, vast majority of arXiv papers are submitted to journals– and really everything can be explained by the delay caused by referring and journal backlogs. Or have I missed something– are people really starting to “publish” to the arxiv?

Or did I misread– is the author simply cautioning against putting an arxiv paper on your CV, even if it has been submitted somewhere (and is held up in referring?) That seems a little unfair, especially to junior people…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHenry Cohn
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

I haven’t noticed this at all in CVs I’ve read in job applications, except to the extent you’d expect (i.e., recent papers that will presumably end up being published, and on rare occasions an older paper where the author may have given up or never intended it for publication in the first place).

I’d guess that the author of this article is seeing the same thing. It’s not at all clear what he’s actually recommending, though. Surely leaving unpublished papers off of your CV can’t help you, and I don’t think any job candidate needs to be reminded to publish more and faster.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    • (edited Apr 14th 2012)

If a committee member is competent, his/her judgement will be aided also by the unpublished, but manifestly written and detailed, results. Such results are proper contributions to the science and an evidence of the scientific strength of the candidate.