Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to Math2.0
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorScott Morrison
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012

In various places on this forum, some suggestions have been made about improving mathscinet by adding some arXiv integration. Does anyone know who needs to be convinced to make such changes?

Here’s a brief summary of things they might do:

• fix all the arXiv references currently in the references (often there are spurious spaces mid-link)
    • actually hyperlink the existing arXiv references
    • allow creation of “official” arXiv links, which would be listed next to the ’article’ link

(These “official” links could be created either by author submission or by automatically looking up the Journal Reference field on the arXiv page. See for example this paper at mathscinet and the arXiv, and this MRef lookup. I think either of these methods would be sufficient for ensuring that only ’official’ preprints would be captured in this way.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorcarolh1
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012

Here’s a link to the spot on MSN where they place a link soliciting reader input: MSN librarians page

I have never felt that the good people running it had sufficient access to the thoughtful opinions of users. Or, that users had access to “contemplated improvements list.”

At the recent Joint Math Mtgs in Boston, I learned that they intend to incorporate the feed of “Online First” papers from the traditional publishers. This is a help at making things “faster” but does not really make the resource any faster for current awareness, compared to, say, arXiv.

Editorial policy has always relied upon pointing to that which has been peer-reviewed. (One exception I recall dates from Soviet period: some Russian preprints listed.)